Sunday, January 2, 2011

Psalm 119 - Qoph - Tav


Finally, we had our last lesson on Psalm 119 yesterday and we ended our BS with a makan celebration with the families involved. We had Oxtail stew with homemade rolls, Roasted Meat, Baked Rice, Quiche, Grilled Chicken Salad, Brownies, Apple Strudels, etc :)


Qoph (Sound in Hebrew) - I cry You hear. Here the psalmist cried out to the LORD with all his heart; even rose before dawn and redeemed the night watches. He observed, kept, meditated and waited for GOD's WORD because wickedness drew near. His crying out to GOD is simultaneous to his keeping GOD's Word because he knows GOD is near -vs 151.


Resh (Sight in Hebrew) - Revive me. In this stanza he looked to the LORD for revival according to GOD's promises and lovingkindness; Who GOD is to him. To revive means to bring back something that is dead (ref Ezk 37) and GOD is able to breathe life into dry bones.

Shin - "My heart stands in aweof Your Word. What a contrast compared to v 145 where the psalmist cried his heart out to the LORD because of his afflictions, persecutions, etc. Once he got his perspective right and focused on Who GOD is and what His Word can do rather than on his life's circumstances, he was able to rejoice, love, praise, hope, have great peace and not stumble. Life as a Christian is not a bed of roses. II Tim 3:12 says "In fact anyone who wants to life a godly life in CHRIST JESUS will be persecuted."

Tav - GOD, I need You. This last stanza of Psalm 119 ends with a very interesting last verse "I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Your servant, for I do not forget Your commandments." How true that we humans have so many distractions in life that we keep wandering away from the LORD; sometimes on purpose too. This sentence reminds me of the hymn "Come Thou Font of many blessings." One of the stanzas goes like this:

"O to grace how great a debtor

Daily I’m constrained to be!

Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,

Bind my wandering heart to Thee.

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,

Prone to leave the God I love;

Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,

Seal it for Thy courts above."

Yes LORD, we echo what the psalmist says in vs 176. GOD, we need You.

No comments:

Post a Comment