Sunday, January 2, 2011

Orange Grapefruit Jam

One of our pastors and his wife made first grade jams as Christmas gifts for the past 2 years and we have been blessed to receive their delicious homemade preserves. This year it was Kiwi and Pear with Ginger. It inspired me to try making jams too :)

I bought some Pink Grapefruits from the supermarket the other day, peeled them and cut away the inner white part of the peel.

I forgot that I had to keep the rind of the grapefruits to add volume to the jam (I threw them away happily.) So I had to buy some oranges, removed the rind, boiled them for 10 minutes and rinsed away the bitter water. Then I cut the rind into thin strips and added them to the grapefruit mixture, together with seeds of one whole vanilla pod, sugar, some lemon and orange juices.

Am quite happy with the result. After this, I shall try making other jam preserves... maybe Blueberries? Or Cherries? Or Raspberries? Or Blackberries? Let's see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment