Monday, January 31, 2011

Ending Well

I love to read through the bible because I love stories and even though I have read this BIG story book quite a number of times since I became a Christian about 30 years ago, I still find the stories in there new and very interesting (because I could not remember what I read most of the time.) But this time round, it is getting better because I am using the Precept method of circling, underlining and colouring. In this way, I read through the chapter at least 2-3 times and the story gets registered better in my mind.

Still, I like to read the bible at my own pace, which means I may take 2-3 years to finish reading from Genesis to Revelations. At the beginning of this year I was at I Chronicles and am now at the middle of II Chronicles. The message that GOD gave me thus far is "ENDING WELL".


I Chronicles 1-9 started with the genealogies of the nation of Israel -it is so boring. Aiyoh, so many chapters of who became the father of who and who is the son of who. What more it is not easy to pronounce those names :0 (frankly, if you ask me now, I cannot remember any of the sons.) Nevermind, life goes on... :)

Haha! finally, in chapter 10, the story starts... Saul and his 3 sons plus his household died in the hands of the Philistines. Vs 13-14 read "so Saul died for his trespass which he committed against the LORD because of the word of the LORD which he did not keep, and also because he asked counsel of a medium, ... and did not inquire of the LORD. Therefore He killed him and turned the kingdom to David, the son of Jesse."


I like chapter 10 v 9 "David became greater and greater, for the LORD of hosts was with him." If GOD is for you, who can be against you.

In chapter 13 David consulted with every leader to bring back the ark of GOD and then we have the story of how Uzza died just because he put out his hand to hold the ark and the anger of the LORD burned against him for his irreverence. Don't play, play with GOD. Even David was afraid of GOD that day. Our GOD is Holy and yet He loves us so much, so gracious, merciful, forgiving, etc. Where to find such a Wonderful GOD like Him?


Chapter 14 David realized that the LORD had established him as king over Israel.... for His people Israel and when David faces issues in life, he inquired of the LORD. I must learn to realize why the LORD allows certain things in my life and to go to Him first to inquire of Him for counsel.

I shall not go through the rest of the books as there's really so much to write about the lessons we can learn from GOD's Word. Coming back to why I said that GOD's message to me thus far is "ENDING WELL"... We all know in II Chronicles King Solomon started well, asking for wisdom and knowledge that he may rule GOD's people well. GOD being a generous GOD added riches, wealth and honour on top of what Solomon asked for. Then we have the building and dedication of GOD's temple, etc.


After Solomon passed away, his descendants took over the rule of Israel. Some of them started well in their rule, "did good and right in the sight of the LORD" but most of them did not end well in their reign. This was where the LORD highlighted to me that yes, everyone has ups and downs in life, certain period of our lives we may not be up to par but if we confess our sins, GOD is faithful and just to forgive our sins and we start all over again. Life goes on. Let's run the race, looking unto JESUS, the Author and Finisher of our faith and end well. So that when we face JESUS at the judgment day, we can look forward to hear Him say "thou good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment