Sunday, October 31, 2010

Psalm 119 : Kaph-Nun

Yesterday, our "Chocolate" ladies met for the fourth time. We reviewed the four stanzas of Kaph, Lamedh, Mem and Nun. The author of the book "Sweeter than Chocolates", Pam Gillaspie, was with us on Skype for about half an hour before the internet connection went off.


Kaph - In this stanza we see depressing words like "my soul languishes", "I have become like a wineskin in the smoke", "they almost destroyed me" and questions such as "When will You comfort me?" "When will You execute judgment?" But in the midst of all these the psalmist chose to WAIT for GOD's Word, hoping in the LORD because GOD's commandments are faithful. In digging deeper from the life of Joseph in Genesis 37, 39-41 we learnt that Joseph WAITed on GOD and continued to do what seems the best of the situation he was in.


Lamedh - "Forever, O LORD, Your Word is SETTLED in heaven." This stanza is about the big picture perspective, viewing things from the point of eternity. Vs 94a the psalmist says "I am Yours." We are GOD's. Last Friday, during our CG worship we sang "All Heavens Declare" accompanied by some magnificent powerpoint pictures of galaxies, planets - a glimpse of what GOD has created. Compared to all these we are so minute in His creation yet GOD love us soooooooooooooooo much to make us His. Do you feel the warmth in your heart, being reminded about how special we are to GOD? :)

Mem - "How sweet are Your Words to my taste! Yes, SWEETER than honey to my mouth." Here the psalmist expressed his love for GOD's law and it is his meditation all the day, praising GOD for His Word made him wiser than his enemies, gave him more insight than all his teachers, helped him understand more than the aged and restrained his feet from every evil way. The reason why he claimed the above is in vs 102b " You Yourself have taught me." - because GOD was his Teacher.


Nun - Vs 105 is very familiar to many of us -"Your Word is a LAMP to my feet and a Light to my path." Why LAMP and not headlights or big beams? In the ancient days they only have oil lamps and candles. The idea is, that the Word of God is like a torch or LAMP to a man in a dark night. It shows him the way; it prevents his stumbling over obstacles, or wandering off into paths which would lead into danger, or would turn him away altogether from the path to life. GOD will lead us one step at a time. May we by faith follow Him step by step. Observe also the actions taken by the psalmist "I have sworn and I will confirm it that I will keep Your righteous ordinances." Wow, despite what he says in vs 109 "my life is continually in my hand" meaning - uncertain - his adversaries could kill him at any time, yet he inclined his heart to perform GOD's statutes forever, even to the end, not gone astray or forget GOD's law.


"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path (x 2)

When I feel afraid
Think I've lost my way
Still You're there right beside me
And nothing will I fear
As long as You are near
Please be near me to the end

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path ( x 2)
I will not forget
Your love for me and yet
My heart forever is wandering
Jesus be my Guide and hold me to Your side
And I will love You to the end

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path (x 2)"

No comments:

Post a Comment